The Galata Tower, located in Beyoglu (the 'newer' section of Istanbul on the north side of the Galate Bridge) is a huge crayon-shaped tower rising above the surrounding buildings atop a hill (see previous post).
It was built in the 14th Century as a watchtower. Now, there is a restaurant and observation deck at the apex. We queued for a bit then crammed into the tiny elevator to ascend to the observation deck. We had a panoramic 360degree view of the entire city, Golden Horn, Bosphorus Straits, Asia, and the Princes Islands in the Sea of Marmara. It was very quiet and relaxing atop the tower, just watch the ships of various sizes cruise through the Straits.
I took this photo of Bridget, Maggie, and Rex, with the Bosphorus Strait and Asia behind them. Actually, this was a difficult picture to take. My goal was to have the three of them in the picture as well as the background in focus - so I needed a large depth of field and narrow aperature. My first attempt went awry when their faces and profiles were too dark. I needed to add light. I recomposed, popped up my flash (no external flash unit with me), dialed down the flash power (thanks Alex for the tip!), and reshot. I managed to get their faces and profiles as well as the background - mission accomplished!
As we were leaving, Rex made the comment (more or less, I don't have it written down in front of me) "I can't believe I had to pay to take a ride in an elevator".
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
David,
Its really fun, that I read about your trip like a book. You wrote all in every detail.
Looking forward to read some.....
Take Care
Post a Comment