One of the cool things about living in the UK is exposure to a lot of cool cars that I would otherwise not see in the US. For example, after Peugeot pulled out of the US about 20 years ago, there is nary a French car to be found on our roads. In the UK I can't drive more than 20 feet without a Renault, Citroen, or Peugeot (whimsically pronounced "poh-joe" here) wizzing past. More importantly, they don't dumb down cars like they do for the American market - even MPVs have taut suspensions, manual gearboxes, and overall excellent driving dynamics that puts your average Avis rent-a-car to shame. If Ford or GM sold the same cars in the US as they do here, methinks they would not be as much trouble as they are now. Sorry, Chrysler (or, Chryslerberus) is just beyond hope at this point - they might as well call it "Jeep LLC." I digress...
I was at Belvoir castle (pronounced "beaver" ... huh huh, beaver) a few weeks ago, and I snapped a picture of the then-Duke's 1908 Renault. Pretty swanky if you ask me; a proper car for English nobility.

No comments:
Post a Comment