Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Music Review: "Passover" by the Black Angels



I have to hand it to Brent - describing the ins and outs of a CD isn't the easiest thing to accomplish. Unfortunately, Brent hasn't been around in a while, so I feel the role for resident music critic falls onto those who read/post/view this blog. I've decided to follow the general format for analyzing the music as well as interject personal thoughts and comments, and invite others to do the same.


Well - here goes: "Passover" by the Black Angels

How I heard about the album: A poster on BRMC's website has constantly pimped their work. That's about it. The library (yes, I am a cheap bastard) didn't have the CD, so I put a request in for the album - and they delivered. Good show.

Initial thoughts about the music: Wait, when was the CD produced - 1970 or 2006? Gee, the lead singer (Alex Maas) sounds a touch like Neil Young - and this is good how? Where is my lava lamp?




The Black Angels are out of the burgeoning Austin, TX music scene (no joke). The main influences of the band are from the LSD/heroin-influenced music scene in the 60's and 70's especially the Velvet Underground and Nico, yet there are touches of Black Sabbath, art-rock gurus Sonic Youth, and just about any band that heavily relied on droning throughout their music. This isn't a CD to put in and enjoy on a long drive or walking/running on the Monon Trail. This is a CD to hook up to your old school record player, turn off the incandescent lights, turn on the black lights, and stare at that psychedelic Ozzy poster. Whereas Wolfmother captured the hard rock classical bands (e.g., Jethro Tull), The Black Angels really turned up the distortion and slowed the tempo down to a rhythmic, dynamic pulse.





Best song: "Black Grease" - I found myself singing the refrain in the office.

"you make me realize

I'm not the kindest guy

but I kill, kill, kill,

I give what I can, yeah"

I soon realized that I should be working at a post office.

The song "Bloodhounds on my Trail" is an interesting tune. It incorporates a harmonica and guitar layers that smack of John Fogerty's "Born on the Bayou" as well as some of BRMC's earlier songs that dabble in Shoegazer.

Worst song: Either the first track "Young Men Dead" or the second track "The First VietnameseWar". In both tracks, the nasal tone of Maas really comes to the front, almost acting as a distraction to the anti-war (which one, Vietnam or Iraq?) lyrics.


You most likely listen to this album if: You were a 19 year-old pseudo-hippie. Probably would have a henna tattoo as well.

Drug of choice: LSD

You would bring this band up to impress someone if: You were trying to score points with someone about 10 years younger and seemingly much cooler than you.

Beer that would describe this album: Pabst with the pulloff tabs

If you saw a person of the opposite sex listening to this album you'd: ask them for some methadone.

Little known fact about this album: listening to the entire record 3 times in a row will produce a killer migraine headache from the constant droning.

No comments: