After lunch, we met with Alexander outside the Yeni Camii and decended into the Spice Bazaar. The building housing the Spice Bazaar is "L"-shaped and vendors on both sides accost the tourists as they meander along the center of the building.
You can get Turkish Delights, spices (duh!), loofahs, carpets, cheap Chinese tourist stuff, clothing, et. al. I stopped and looked at the teas at one vender. One of the offerings was dried sage tea, which interested me. The sage leaves were still had the soft coating but didn't have the pungent aroma of sage.
The vendor owner came out and asked if I knew what that was - and I, having grown sage, replied that I was familiar. He said the sage was actually hash (dried pot) - a nice lie to get me to come in and get some "herbal remedy". I laughed, gave my thanks, and walked off.
We walked around for a while through the Spice Bazaar, entering into the Grand Bazaar, returning to the streets outside the Yeni Camii. Bridget was on her way, so we spent a few minutes walking through the pet bazaar next to the Spice Bazaar. We saw leeches there in a huge plastic jar, and in the next stall, we saw a bunch of rabbits crawling over each other in a cage. I'm sure Rex at that point had found a souvenier from Turkey.
Friday, May 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment