I apologize for not updating the blog on our travels - I still have to report on our trips to Ronda, Africa, Cordoba, Toledo, Avila and "the finger incident", and Madrid.
But, instead of all of that, how about a reason why sometimes overhearing conversations can be a rewarding experience:
I am in a home in Muncie doing a mold evaluation, the home is about 700 square feet and has about 2,000 square feet of contents. Imagine have a 1' wide path throughout the house. Good stuff - ever hear of something called Goodwill?
A friend of the family's has stopped in and they are discussing family acquaintances, when someone asks the visitor how her daughter, Mickey, was doing. The visitor replies, "Mickey is living in Saint Louis, and is doing fine. She has a boyfriend."
And then she continues in the same casual voice -
"The boyfriend can't leave the state of Missouri because he is on parole. Actually, Mickey is spending an enormous amount of money on heroin and crack cocaine."
And a hush fell over the room for a few seconds ...... Then an uncomfortable "Oh" from one of the homeowner's daughters.
Classic!
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
until I figured out that "Mickey" was the daughter I totally thought this exchange might be about my niece's Dad, also called Mickey, living in St. Louis, probably spending money on drugs-small world!
Post a Comment